There’s a Tonal alternative for every budget! Tonal is a premium home gym equipment that has exploded in popularity in recent years. Even Lebron James uses it to get into shape for the playoffs.
Tonal machines offer a one-of-a-kind experience and are definitely worth the price for those who can afford it. But, if you’re looking for something more affordable, there are plenty of Tonal alternatives out there. Whether you want a full-body workout, an elliptical machine, or a rowing machine, we’ll take a look at the 11 Best Tonal Alternatives in this article. Read below for information on what each competitor has to offer as well as their pros and cons when compared to Tonal.
Featured Image Credit: Tonal.
Table of Contents
OUR TOP PICKS:
MIRROR by LululemonBest For Body-Weight Exercises
43″ HD display and 178-degree wide viewing angle
Features a front-facing camera to give you the full in-person experience
Sleek and does not require any footprint in your home
Delivers an outstanding studio experience with high-quality speakers, subwoofers, and an omnidirectional microphone
All-Access membership provides access to live and 24/7 on-demand classes
Free Delivery & Installation ($250 value) for a limited time
TRX Suspension Training Home2 KitBest Portable Tonal Alternative
Bodyweight and gravity-based resistance training with no other equipment required
Easily hooks up to your door or a tree in seconds
Kit includes everything you need to get started: door anchor, suspension trainer, suspension anchor, carry bag
Free 30 day subscription to TRX Training Club
Bowflex Xtreme 2 SE Home GymBest Affordable Resistance Training
210 lbs of Bowflex power rod-based resistance
You can do 70+ exercises like pulldowns, squats, leg extensions, ab crunches
Easily switch between exercises without cable changes
An affordable machine to help you achieve a full-body workout at home
Additional attachments can be purchased separately
What Is the Best Tonal Alternative?
Best Looking Fitness Mirror, Ideal for Body-Weight Exercises
- With a 43″ HD display and 178-degree wide viewing angle, it’s no surprise that MIRROR is backed by Lululemon and is a top choice for many home gym enthusiasts.
- One of the best looking smart home gyms on our list
- The MIRROR features a front-facing camera to give you the full in-person experience as you work out with your friends and can receive live feedback from instructors.
- While the MIRROR is sleek and does not require any footprint in your home, it manages to deliver an outstanding studio experience with high-quality speakers, subwoofers, and an omnidirectional microphone.
- The All-Access membership provides access to live and 24/7 on-demand classes for a variety of workouts such as boxing, weightlifting, dance, cardio, barre yoga, pilates, stretch, strength, personal training, and more.
56.0″ H, 22.4″ W, 1.4″ D
Mirror has created various bundles that allow you to shop for either the basic mirror or include additional workout gear for the whole family. We have included below an overview of these bundles and what you receive.
MIRROR Basic – $1,495 (includes The Mirror, Stand, Lens Cap)
MIRROR Essentials – $1,695 (includes Everything in the Basic Bundle, Heart Rate Monitor, Fitness Band Pack, & Lululemon Gear – Yoga Mat, Yoga Block, Yoga Mat Strap, Foam Roller)
MIRROR Pro – $1,795 (includes Everything in the Essentials Bundle, Lululemon Gear – Workout Towel, MIRROR Weights (1 set).
MIRROR Family – $2,045 (includes Everything in the Basic Bundle, 2 Heart Rate Monitors, 2 Fitness Band Packs, 2 MIRROR Weight Sets, & Lululemon Gear – 2 Reversible Mats 5mm, 2 Loop It Up Mat Straps, 2 Lift & Lengthen Yoga Blocks, 1 Double Roller Mini)
Moving on to the monthly commitment, MIRROR All-Access Membership is required at an additional cost of $39/month.
MIRROR has a ton of positive feedback from customers and is backed by our favorite workout brand (Lululemon).
In our opinion, MIRROR is best suited for at-home bodyweight exercises. Any resistance or strength-training workouts can be completed with a separate set of dumbbells, kettlebells, bench, etc.
Tonal does give you the option to attach smart accessories like pulleys and benches for resistance training, but it comes at a much higher price.
In our opinion, the MIRROR looks and feels extremely high quality. If you are looking for a great-looking smart home gym for bodyweight exercises, then go for the MIRROR.
Free Delivery & Installation ($250 value) for a limited time! PLUS a 60-day risk-free trial.
Best Portable Tonal Alternative
Why is TRX on this list? Sure, it’s a groundbreaking, hugely popular home workout system with a cult following. But why is it an alternative to a high-tech strength training home gym like Tonal? Because of the TRX app and ecosystem! Not only can you install the TRX Home2 in seconds and start working out, but the companion app also features the same benefits as Tonal – a huge library of workouts, guidance, and training to help you make the best of your suspension workouts.
- Bodyweight and gravity-based resistance training with no other equipment required
- Easily hooks up to your door or a tree in seconds
- Kit includes everything you need to get started: door anchor, suspension trainer, suspension anchor, carry bag
- Free 30 day subscription to TRX Training Club, a companion app to follow along with basic and advanced classes with certified trainers
- Easily packs away – You can take your TRX system anywhere with you
- Free shipping
- 6-year warranty
Small and compact enough to fit in a small bag.
The lowest cost item on this list at $199.
If you have never tried suspension training before, we guarantee you will get hooked.
We love how portable the TRX Home2 is, so we work out in hotel rooms, parks, and in the privacy of our home without any additional equipment. The app features a wide range of body weight-based exercises to get your entire body toned and fit.
TRX also donates a portion of each sale to a charity of your choice and offers special pricing for the military, students, and first responders. No wonder there’s a cult following!
For a limited time, get 15% off with our discount code AFFILTRX15. Add the TRX Training Club membership to your cart for an extra 10% off.
Best Affordable Resistance Training At Home
If you have the space and the budget, the next machine on our list of Tonal alternatives will take your whole-body workouts up a notch. We are turning to Bowflex again, with the wonderful Xtreme 2 SE Home Gym.
- 210 lbs of Bowflex power rod-based resistance
- You can do 70+ exercises like pulldowns, squats, leg extensions, ab crunches
- Easily switch between exercises without cable changes
83″ L x 58″ W X 49” H
Starting at $1,499 for the Xtreme 2 SE Home Gym. Additional attachments can be purchased separately – preacher curl, power rod upgrade, tricep rope, etc.
Users love Tonal for the flexibility of performing full-body workouts. Similarly. Bowflex Xtreme 2 SE Home Gym offers a wide range of exercises for your entire body. There are thousands of positive reviews touting the ease of setup and the build quality, which is expected from a brand like Bowflex. Most customers agree that using Bowflex completely replaces the need to go to the gym.
We tried out the Xtreme at Dick’s sporting goods store and were quite impressed with how many workouts can be accomplished, especially at the reasonable price point. The Xtreme is quite tall so ensure that you have a decent amount of space available.
Also worth pointing out that if you are interested in more of a ‘smart’ home gym with technology-assisted workouts and real-time feedback, then look at some of the other Tonal alternatives on this list. If you are looking for an affordable machine to help you achieve a full-body workout at home, then go for the Xtreme 2 SE.
For a limited time, Bowflex is offering an additional $300 Discount + FREE Shipping when you buy Xtreme 2 SE directly from Bowflex.
Best Low-Cost Alternative to Smart Gyms
Next on our list is something a little out of the ordinary. If you are looking for Tonal alternatives, then most likely you’re looking for something less expensive. We went looking for you and found something exciting from one of the original names in-home workouts: Bowflex!
JRNY is unlike anything else on this list because it’s not a standalone piece of workout equipment on its own. JRNY is an adaptive workout companion that pairs with most of the high-quality equipment that Bowflex offers.
- JRNY is an App that works with the touchscreen on most Bowflex bikes, treadmills, and full-body trainers
- Alternately, you can pair the app with your phone for non-touchscreen equipment like dumbbells
- Personalized fitness assessment, on-demand classes, and smart recommendations
- Classes and programming is tailored to Bowflex equipment, but you can use the phone app to access the same features and work out with any equipment of your choice
JRNY membership fee is free for the first year and renews at $149 per year (or $19.99 per month). The cost of Bowflex equipment varies based on your selection. We recommend 552 Adjustable Dumbbells to pair with the JRNY app.
If you are looking for affordable personalized smart home workouts to rival Tonal, then we recommend JRNY from Bowflex. If you are short on space, then combine the app with the super impressive Bowflex 552 Adjustable Dumbbells which comes with a free year of app JRNY membership. It’s a win-win. You can use the dumbbells to replace 15 pairs of weights and use the app to complete full-body workouts in the comfort of your home.
For a limited time, Bowflex is offering up to $100 Discount + 1-year membership of JRNY App ($149 value) + FREE shipping on their 552 or 1090 dumbbells! Click below to enjoy this benefit directly from Bowflex website.
Best Treadmill for Connectivity and App Integration
One of the selling points of Tonal and other digital-focused equipment on this list is the amazing library of live and recorded fitness classes with certified trainers. Most traditional treadmills, ellipticals, and other equipment can not match that. The Horizon Fitness 7.0 AT treadmill turns that traditional thinking on its head. This treadmill from the fitness industry behemoth Horizon Fitness provides the ability to integrate any fitness app or digital subscription like Peloton, Nike, Zwift, Studio, Fitbit, etc.
- Easily connect your treadmill to your training apps via Bluetooth
- Quick dial controls to easily adjust speed and incline
- Ultra-quiet motor
- Integrated speakers
- Easy storage with one-click fold away
- Lifetime frame and motor warranty
- 7” LCD
- USB port
- Assembled: 76.5″ x 36″ x 59″
- Folded: 41″ x 36″ x 70″
Right now the 7.0AT is on sale for a fantastic price of $999 (vs. $1999 regular price).
If you enjoy walking or running and want a digital multimedia experience with your workouts, then the Horizon Fitness 7.0 AT treadmill is a great choice. Horizon Fitness has a great track record of reliability in the industry. With a lifetime warranty on frame and motor, they back their build quality.
This one is not wall-mountable and does require some space on your floor, but the Bowflex Max Trainer M9 is a great alternative to the Tonal if you like low-impact Elliptical trainers.
- It offers an engaging cardiovascular workout experience with a wide range of trainer-led classes, and 20 resistance levels
- This home exercise equipment is significantly smaller than most treadmills or sofas, allowing it to effortlessly fit into almost any room
- The M9 has a 10” HD touch screen that is especially useful for streaming the on-demand content and can even be connected to any video streaming services like Netflix and AppleTV
- Bluetooth connectivity
- 3 year parts and frame warranty is included
49.2″ L x 30.5″ W x 65.1″ H
Supports up to 300 lbs
- $2,599 for the elliptical
- Includes 1-year free JRNY membership to access the complete library of live & on-demand classes and content
- Financing available from Bowflex
The Bowflex Max Trainer M9 really impressed us when we tried it at a friend’s home. It is compact and really quiet compared to regular ellipticals. The M9 offers a great cardiovascular workout but does not offer any weight-training options that the Tonal is well known for.
If you have the budget and are only looking for a cardiovascular workout, then Max Trainer M9 is one of Tonal’s best competitors in the market for home gym equipment.
For a limited time, use our SPECIAL LINK below to get the Bowflex Max Trainer M9 for $200 Discount + FREE Shipping, directly from Bowflex.
Most Engaging Cardio for Bike Lovers
Chances are that you already know someone that owns the hugely popular Peloton Bike. If not, you have most likely heard the hype around it. Well, Schwinn IC4 is fast emerging as a true competitor to the high-tech, engaging workouts that Tonal and Peloton offer. Schwinn is one of the original names in American bikes and the IC4 continues a tradition of quality and features at a great price.
- 100 levels of smooth, magnetic resistance
- Dual-sided pedals that work with any athletic shoes
- Pair of 3lb dumbbells included with on-bike storage
- Connect any tablet and smartphone
- 1-year JRNY membership (which is similar to Peloton’s live, on-demand, and recorded fitness classes).
48.7″ L x 21.2″ W x 51.8″ H
By all measures, the Schwinn IC4 is a great-looking piece of workout equipment. It’s got quite a following and it’s easy to see why.
The workout itself can get quite immersive with the spinning action itself being unbelievably smooth. We love that it is compatible with many apps, including the Peloton app. So you can enjoy the same high-quality classes from superstar Peloton instructors at a fraction of the cost.
Overall, if you are looking for a great cardio experience with a premium piece of equipment, the Schwinn IC4 is for you.
For a limited time, Schwinn is offering a $200 discount + 1-year membership of JRNY App ($149 value) + FREE shipping on the IC4. Click below to get this discount directly from Schwinn website.
Best Entry-Level Fitness Mirror
The Echelon Reflect Touch is a great choice for a Fitness Mirror Tonal alternative at a much more affordable price point than some of its competitors like Tonal.
- Available in 50” or 40” HD display options (1080p resolution) With a 50” class HD display, Echelon Reflect Touch is high on our list because it features a touchscreen display and is an excellent addition to any room as a modern & elegant mirror. Gone are the days when you need to hide your workout equipment!
- Echelon’s Reflect Touch is easy to install and sits flush to the wall, requiring no additional floor space in your home.
- With a 32″ class embedded display, 1080p resolution, you will look forward to your workouts.
- Live and on-demand classes are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. With this kind of flexibility and motivating instructors, your fitness goals will be easier than ever to achieve!
- The classes offer over 2,000 high-quality workout options, including HIIT, Core, Yoga, Pilates, Kickboxing, and more.
- A high quality, responsive touchscreen for the 50” model
- Sync capability with fitness tracking apps (Fitbit, Apple Health)
50”H x 20”W x 2”D, or
40”H x 20”W x 2”D
52 lb or 40 lb
- Starting at $1,499.99 for the 50” model and the equipment.
- Starting at $750 for the 40” model
- Echelon United Membership is required at an additional cost. The price varies based on the billing plan – $39.99/month if you’re opting for monthly billing, $33.33/month if you’re opting for annual billing, and $29.16/month if you’re opting for being billed every two years.
Echelon Reflect Touch is one of Tonal’s best competitors and a great choice for an affordable Tonal alternative. We love the Echelon Reflect Touch for its price and responsive touch screen, which gives it an edge over other competitors. It also sports a sleek & modern design that makes it easy to incorporate into any room of your home. The monthly membership includes a wide range of classes that do not require any equipment. If you are not too fussed about the touchscreen, then the 40” model is also a great option, especially if you are on a tight budget.
The Echelon Reflect Touch lacks a little bit in the real-time feedback and smart sensor technology that a few other entries on this list like Tempo Studio possess.
On the other hand, this smart home gym equipment’s price and monthly membership fees are a bit lower than the NordicTrack Vault and the MIRROR, which are also on our list of the best fitness mirrors. For us, Echelon’s touch screen and affordable price make it a great entry-level choice for a Tonal alternative smart home gym.
Best Compact Tonal Alternative
Not quite a like-for-like high-tech replacement for the Tonal, but the MaxPro home gym is lighting up the fitness market nonetheless, thanks to its appearance on Shark Tank. The MaxPro offers Tonal-like push/pull resistance-based workouts in a compact, super portable package.
- Weighs just 9 lbs and can be folded into a small package
- One-click adjustable resistance from 5 – 300 lbs
- Accommodates a variety of workouts like HIIT, Plyometrics, Strength, and Cardio
- MaxPro SmartConnect base, 3-piece quick connect bar, 2 workout handles, 2 ankle and wrist straps, 2 door mounts
- Included app to track your workouts and follow along with coaches
74.5 x 46.8 x 36 inches
The MaxPro has an all-in-one app plus equipment package that rivals what the Tonal can offer, without the wall space requirements and with no monthly costs. If you like Tonal, but want a much more compact and portable home gym solution, then go for the MaxPro Cable Home Gym.
Best Tonal Alternative for Full-Body Strength Training
NordicTrack’s Fusion CST, when combined with the iFit membership is a smart gym to rival Tonal. Here are the key features:
- 20 magnetic resistance settings on 3 sets of pulleys for full-body strength training
- 30-day iFit membership included
- Live interactive trainer-led sessions; trainers can adjust your resistance in real-time if you allow the setting
- Track your workouts and results – the metrics are not as sophisticated as the Tonal but still offer a lot of insight
- You can do 60+ exercises like pulldowns, squats, leg extensions, ab crunches
- Touchscreen tablet, 2 squat pulleys, 2 ankle straps, 6 cable ends included
60.5” W x 41.5” D x 73.5” H
378 lbs – this one is heavy so we recommend professional installation.
$1,999 for the equipment, $199 for delivery – includes 30-day iFit membership.
If you are looking for an all-in-one strength training solution at home, NordicTrack’s Fusion CST is a great, reliable option. In fact, you have likely already used NordicTrack equipment at your local gym. The Fusion CST is an all-in-one full-body strength training machine that you see at most gyms, but compact enough to bring home.
We like the range of exercises that the Fusion CST can be used for. You can use this machine as-is or add on the optional iFit membership to turn this machine into a smart gym. This option takes the workout experience up a notch and brings it into our list as a serious alternative to Tonal.
Best Fitness App Tonal Alternative
So you like the personalized fitness programs, results tracking and follow-along classes that Tonal offers, but do not want to buy any equipment? Well, the next best bet is to subscribe to a fitness app and The Fitness App from Jilian Michaels is one of the best ever created. Jillian is a world-renowned fitness expert, with a storied career of achieving eye-popping fitness transformations on TV (The Biggest Loser) and through her DVD empire.
- Fully personalized library of Jillian Michaels workouts based on your goals and timelines
- Customized meal plans (unlike most other apps) to help you reach your fitness goals faster
- Easy to follow videos and live training to track your form and stay motivated
- Available for iOS and Android
- Includes access to the full library of Jillian Michaels DVDs
7-day free trial, followed by $89.99 per year (current price with a 25% discount).
You can’t argue with Jillian Michaels’ track record. The Fitness App is an extension of her science and nutrition-based approach to fitness, with thousands of positive testimonials. It is one of the only apps to offer personalized meal plans, which is an often neglected part of the fitness journey. At the current low yearly price, we have no hesitation in recommending this app as a digital Tonal Alternative.
Why Is Tonal Gym Popular? Everything You Need To Know.
Tonal is a total-body home fitness equipment that has been the rage in recent years. Tonal machines offer a one-of-a-kind experience and are definitely worth the price for those who can afford it. But, if you’re looking for something more affordable, there are plenty of Tonal competitors out there. Whether you want an elliptical, a treadmill, or a total body workout machine, there is always a Tonal alternative out there (and usually at a much cheaper price).
- Tonal provides an outstanding cardio workout with the convenience at home to not have to go anywhere!
- Tonal is able to provide great weights resistance training because it allows you to add free weights & dumbbells into its exercise routines for added intensity.
- Tonal’s touchscreen monitor makes it easy for users of all fitness levels to monitor their workouts.
- Tonal’s resistance training and cardio exercises are designed so you can get the most out of your workout in a shorter period of time with better results!
- Tonal is also very durable which makes it ideal for a home gym. It can be used daily by more than one person/family member.
- Tonal’s customer service is also great and they are always willing to help!
- The company offers free shipping and installation which is a bonus given that the assembly process can be complex.
- Tonal is expensive! In addition, it requires a monthly membership for access which can be costly depending on your budget or fitness goals.
What to Consider Before Buying a Tonal Alternative?
1. Equipment Price
Before you purchase any home workout equipment, it is important to consider and compare the price of the equipment to its alternatives. The same applies when purchasing a Tonal alternative. Make sure you have a budget in mind and compare equipment prices for Tonal competitors before making your final decision.
2. Ongoing Cost of Membership Fees
Buying home gym equipment in 2023 comes with the added financial commitment of monthly membership fees. When you’re already paying a hefty price for a home workout machine, make sure that you shop around to evaluate the best value for any additional membership fees.
Does the home gym equipment require any additional gear for you to complete a workout session? Does the price of the equipment include the additional gear or will it be an added cost? These are important questions to ask and keep in consideration before you make a commitment to any home gym equipment.
4. Quality & Durability
One of the most important things to consider when shopping around for Tonal alternatives is how well it’s made. Make sure you do your research and read reviews on Tonal competitors before making a final decision. Some equipment can last decades while others might only be able to handle 500 workouts! It all depends on what materials were used in its production, but make sure that any Tonal alternative that you’re considering purchasing has good quality & durability (even if it means paying more).
Tonal is a great smart home gym equipment and in our opinion, works best for serious athletes who want to tone their bodies. However, Tonal competitors offer alternatives that provide similar workout options at a much cheaper price point (and less expensive monthly membership fees). Before making any purchase decisions, do your research on Tonal competitors and compare before you buy!