If the pandemic taught us something, it is to prioritize our health and maximize our space at home. Working out at home is the new normal. Even if gyms are open, it may be better to invest your money in compact home equipment and avoid the crowds and the germs.
Compact home gyms can be just as effective as larger, more expensive gym equipment without taking up much space. There are many options out there that offer the same quality of workouts as larger machines.
If you are here, that means you are ready to take your home workouts up a notch, while saving precious space. There are many options out there, but if you’re looking for a comparison of all the key features, pros, and cons of the best compact home gyms, then you have come to the right place.
In this post, we will compare the 10 best compact home gyms and 2 best fitness apps to help you settle on the best option for you. We have tried to vary the list between cardio training, strength training, and full-body workout equipment – so read below and choose the one that suits your fitness goals.
Compact Home Gym #1:
Best overall, Best Technology, Smallest Footprint.
The mirror on the wall can now do more than you ever imagined! Our top overall choice for the best compact home gym is the Mirror home gym by Lululemon. With thousands of workouts, live instructors, performance tracking, and absolutely zero floor footprint required, the Mirror is the technologically advanced, personalized workout companion that looks great on your wall.
- 10,000+ on-demand and live classes for a wide variety of workouts, including cardio, strength, kickboxing, pilates, boxing, ballet, dance, etc.
- Smart weights to track your reps and progress
- Seamless wall mount with hidden outlet or floor stand
- Cameras for real time form correction, instructor feedback (if you allow it) or to see your friends
- Surround sound speakers
- 43” 1080P HD display
- 22.4” W x 56” H (only 1.4” thick)
- The most compact home gym you can buy
- Advanced technology
- Wide variety of workouts and live classes
- Looks great on your wall, no need to hide away
- Personalized goal tracking for each family member
- Face-off mode lets you workout with friends
- 30-day risk-free trial
- Free delivery and installation
- 0% APR financing over 12, 24 or 48 months
- The smart weights are not included in the base package
- Monthly membership is $39 a month but provides good value due to the ecosystem of trainers, workouts and community that Mirror has built
The Mirror is a dream come true if you are looking for a compact home gym. We tried it out at a Lululemon store and were blown away by the quality of the build and the wide variety of workout possibilities. We love that it looks great and blends seamlessly into any room, and requires no precious floor space. The partnership with Lululemon means that most packages also come with Lululemon accessories.
With a 30-day risk-free trial and the $300 promotional discount currently available, the Mirror is a no-brainer if you are looking for a compact home gym to take your workouts to another level.
SPECIAL OFFER FOR OUR READERS – Use code MOTHERSDAY22 at checkout for $450 OFF. Save $200 on the MIRROR + Free Delivery & Installation ($250 value) for a limited time! PLUS a 60-day risk-free trial.
Compact Home Gym #2:
Don’t get mad at us for putting Peloton 2nd on the list. We know that Peloton has a loyal following that swears by the results and immersive experience that Peloton brings to their life. Peloton’s hugely impressive bikes narrowly miss out on the top spot simply because the mirror is more compact. This is, after all, a ranking of the best compact home gyms.
For those of you who don’t already own a Peloton, read below for a detailed comparison of the two Bike models.
- Bike: 59″ L x 53″ H x 23″ W
- Bike+: 59″ L x 59″ H x 22″ W
- Feature rich bikes with great warranty and construction
- Peloton’s fantastic ecosystem of instructors and classes
- Interactive workouts with built in microphones and large screens – you feel like you’re in a studio
- Individual profiles for all members of your household
- Performance metrics to measure your progress
- Scenic rides with curated music
- Bike+ comes with free delivery and setup
- Limited strength training
- Can not use the screen to play your own content (although there are hacks to do so)
- Bike: $250 extra for delivery and setup
Whichever Peloton Bike model you choose, you can not go wrong. There is a reason that Peloton is one of the best-selling home gyms ever. The Bike is a beautiful piece of equipment. In our trials, we could not get enough. We took a scenic ride and participated in a few classes – both worked up quite a sweat. We loved the classes since they really do feel like being in a spin studio.
PRICE DROP! Get the Peloton Bike for $300 OFF, and Peloton Bike+ for $500 OFF + Free Delivery & Installation ($250 value) for a limited time! PLUS a 30-day risk-free trial.
Compact Home Gym #3:
We have recommended some kickass home gym equipment in this list. Here is one for full-body resistance training to build and tone using gravity as resistance. TRX has a cult following because of the amazing variety of workouts you can do, without any bulky equipment. If you are short on floor space, or want to take your gym anywhere you go, then TRX is perfect for you.
Although TRX has a ton of options for bodyweight suspension training, we have picked their HOME2 system, which has everything you need to get started in one pre-assembled kit.
- Portable and packable home gym
- No weights required; uses body weight and gravity for resistance
- Quick set up
- Home2 package includes everything you need to get started: Suspension trainer, Door Anchor, Suspension Anchor, Mesh Carry Bag
- Free 30-day subscription to TRX Training Club, which is TRX’s super-popular app for live and on-demand training classes
- Free shipping
- 6-year warranty
- Variety of exercises; full-body strength training
- Very compact and portable home gym
- One of the lowest cost gyms on this list of top home gyms
- Pay upfront or with monthly interest-free payments
- Purchase donates $2 to a cause of your choice
- TRX has a dedicated following with a large ecosystem of support and classes
- If you want heavier weight training or traditional cardio, look at other equipment on this list
We recommend the TRX Home2 suspension training system due to its versatility as a full-body strength training tool that can be hooked up anywhere. We also love TRX’s charitable initiative, with proceeds from each sale going to a charity of your choice. TRX also offers discounts for First Responders, Military Members, and Students.
For a limited time, get up to $80 off Your Next TRX Bundle – Suspension Trainer, Strength Bands, Accessories, and More + 15% off with code AFFILTRX15.
Compact Home Gym #4:
You can not have a home gym list without mentioning Bowflex. The original king of the home fitness revolution, Bowflex has a lot of sophisticated equipment options to choose from. Most of them are too big to make our best compact home gym criteria. Instead, we chose the Bowflex SelectTech Adjustable Dumbbells with an optional Stowable Bench combination as number 4 on our list.
- Compact design with adjustable weight from 10 up to 90 lbs
- 5 lb increments
- 5” L x 10” W x 10” H – each dumbbell
- Just a little bit larger than a regular dumbbell
- Easy to use dial to change resistance
- Space efficient – replaces up to 17 pairs of dumbbells
- No assembly required
- A stowable bench is sold separately, which you may want to consider buying, to extend the range of exercises you can do
- Due to their popularity, there is sometimes a waitlist for shipment
The Bowflex SelectTech Adjustable Dumbbells are perfect for small spaces, easy to use, and can be utilized for a variety of workouts. We have no hesitation in recommending these for your compact home gym solution. You will never have to buy dumbbells again.
For a limited time, Bowflex is offering 1-year membership of JRNY App ($149 value) + FREE shipping! Click below to enjoy this benefit directly from Bowflex website.
Compact Home Gym #5:
Before there was Peloton and many others, there was Schwinn. Americans have grown up learning how to bike on Schwinn bikes and the Schwinn fitness indoor cycling bikes leverage those years of experience to provide the best spinning experience in the industry.
The IC4 hits it out of the park at a great price. Starting at just $999 versus the Peloton’s starting price of $1895, we recommend the IC4 if you are looking for a compact home exercise bike to get you sweating in no time.
- 100 levels of smooth, magnetic resistance
- Dual sided pedals
- Pair of 3lb dumbbells included with on-bike storage
- Connect any tablet and smartphone
- 1 year JRNY membership (which is similar to Peloton’s live, on-demand and recorded fitness classes)
48.7″ L x 21.2″ W x 51.8″ H
- Pairs with any smartphone or tablet
- 1 Year free JRNY membership and compatible with Peloton app if you wish to use Peloton classes
- Great price compared to other competitors
- SPD compatible or use any shoes with the toe cage
- Compact and ergonomic design, transport wheels for easy move
- Requires light assembly or add assembly for $129
The Schwinn IC4 has thousands of positive reviews. It is fast becoming a serious competitor to high-end bikes like Peloton. We love that the IC4 is compatible with a host of fitness apps, including market-leading ones like JRNY and Peloton. At the current discounted price and with the free shipment offer, there’s no better time to jump on and ride to your fitness goals!
For a limited time, Schwinn is offering a $200 discount + 1-year membership of JRNY App ($149 value) + FREE shipping on the IC4. Click below to get this discount directly from Schwinn website.
Compact Home Gym #6:
If you are looking for a familiar elliptical machine in a compact size, this should be at the top of your list.
- 0-10° Power Incline
- 25 Resistance Levels
- 350 lb capacity
- Bluetooth Sync
- 3 Speed Fan
- USB Charging Port
73″ L x 26.97″ W x 66.93″ H
- Space-saving design is almost 7” in length and 5” in width smaller than comparable elliptical machines
- Familiar features – if you have used an elliptical at a gym before, it was likely a Nautilus
- Free shipment and $100 off for a limited time
- Great warranty (15 years frame, 5-year electronics) from one of the most well-known fitness equipment makers out there
- Does not have high-tech features like a touch screen or fitness classes
The Nautilus E618 is our sixth top choice for a compact home gym. Top-notch features, compact size, and a great warranty are hard to beat.
For a limited time, Nautilus is offering a $100 discount + FREE shipping on the E618. Click below to get this discount directly from the Nautilus website.
Compact Home Gym #7:
Best for a full-body strength workout.
You have likely seen this one on TV for years being used by multiple celebrities. From one of the original at-home exercise equipment makers, there’s no surprise that this compact home gym is on our list of the best compact home gyms.
- Resistance Pulley System
- Flexible Nylon Strap Handles
- Padded Glideboard with Head Support
- Six incline levels (6 degrees to 26 degrees)
- 400 Lb capacity
- In Use: 90”L x 19”W x 43”H
- Folded: 51”L x 19”W x 9”H
- Allows over 80 types of workouts, utilizing all 3 planes of motion
- No assembly required
- Easily folds into a smaller size for storing
- No live-training classes or fancy electronics to measure your progress
The Total Gym XLS is a no-nonsense compact home gym that is great for small spaces. If you want a full-body workout, with a variety of exercise possibilities and excellent support, then you can’t miss this one. While there are no training classes or fitness tracking equipment included, the reasonable price reflects that.
Get the XLS for 50% OFF + Extra 10% OFF + FREE Upper Body Attachment ($100 value) + FREE 1 yr Total Gym TV + FREE Shipping. Click below to get this discount directly from Total Gym website.
Compact Home Gym #8:
Bowflex has done it again! The Max Trainer is a compact elliptical machine full of amazing features and sure to get your heart rate pumping. At about half the size of a typical treadmill, it can fit in any corner of your home and looks great to boot.
- The Max Trainer M6 and M9 both come with 1 year free JRNY membership with live and on-demand classes
- The M9 comes with a 10” HD touchscreen with wi-fi capability that you can use to stream your Netflix or other video subscription services on. On the M6, you’ll have to attach your own smartphone or tablet
- M6 comes with 16 resistance levels while the M9 has 20
- The M9 also has bluetooth speakers, built in USB charger and a 3 year parts and frame warranty (versus 2 years for the M6)
- Both can support up to 300 lbs and come with transport wheels
M9: 49.2″ L x 30.5″ W x 65.1″ H
M6: 46″ L x 26″ W x 64.2″ H
- Compact size
- Great warranty
- Free 1 year JRNY membership
- Variety of metrics and workout history tracking
- The M6 is currently being offered for $300 off and with free shipment
- The M6 is offered at a great price but lacks the in-built touchscreen and video streaming features that the M9 has
- In-home assembly is extra
Personally, we love Bowflex for its reliability and features. At the current price, the Max Trainer M6 is a no-brainer if you are looking for a compact elliptical home gym. We recommend the M6 over the M9 at current pricing because we are not so fussed about plugging in our own tablet to stream video and most of us can do without the extra frills. If you want the extra features and can afford it, the M9 is still a great compact home gym at a reasonable price for the features versus some other competitors out there.
For a limited time, use our SPECIAL LINK below to get the Bowflex Max Trainer M9 for $200 Discount + a FREE Mat + FREE Shipping, directly from Bowflex.
Compact Home Gym #9:
We have a fantastic compact elliptical at number 9 on our list of best compact home gyms. This is a great elliptical if you are just starting out and want to get your hands on an inexpensive, space-saving cardio machine.
- Bluetooth speakers – works with your devices
- USB charging for your phone/tablet
- 10 level magnetic resistance adjustment
- 3 Lb flywheel and advanced pulley system for a smooth, consistent motion
74”L x 25”W x 64.5”H
- Quick setup – 30 minutes or fewer
- Free shipment
- Lifetime frame warranty
- 30 day home trial with a full refund
- No incline ability
- Small choice of pre-loaded programs
This entry-level elliptical from Horizon Fitness is impressive due to its compact size, great reviews, and inexpensive price. We recommend it for first-time purchasers with small spaces.
For a limited time, Horizon Fitness is offering FREE Shipping. Click the link below to purchase directly from Horizon Fitness website.
Compact Home Gym #10:
The MaxPro Home Gym is the hottest home gym on the market right now, trending all over America due to it’s recent appearance on Shark Tank. From the looks of it, the buzz is well deserved! For the price, it packs a punch with the variety of workouts it enables, while weighing a puny 9lbs. Perfect for your travel or at-home workouts!
- One-click adjustable resistance from 5 – 300 lbs
- MaxPro SmartConnect base, 3 piece quick connect bar, 2 workout handles, 2 ankle and wrist straps, 2 door mounts
- Bluetooth connectivity
- MaxPro app to track your workouts and provide coach-led workouts with analytics
74.5 x 46.8 x 36 inches
- Extremely portable and compact (weighs 9lbs)
- Folds into a small package for travel
- Variety of workouts like strength, plyometrics, cardio, HIIT
- Free app with no subscription costs
- A wall mount track is not included in the base package. We recommend purchasing one for an additional $324 to maximize your workouts
The MaxPro Cable Home Gym is a portable compact gym like no other. We like the all-in-one app and equipment price with no monthly costs. Whether you want to sweat while traveling or at home, we recommend this trending compact home gym to meet your 2022 fitness goals.
What are the Best Home Gym Fitness Apps?
Alright, so we have reviewed some of the best home gym equipment in this post, but what if you want to go totally digital and equipment-free? Below, we have covered a fast-rising category of compact home gyms: Fitness Apps. You can use these apps to achieve amazing results by following personalized exercise programs and even meal plans from world-famous trainers.
Home Fitness App #1:
Who has not heard of Jillian Michaels? She is the ultimate authority on fitness transformations, having starred in TV shows such as ‘The Biggest Loser’ and ‘Losing it with Jillian. She is also the author of several best-selling books and DVDs on fitness and health.
- Customized workouts and meal plans
- 30,60,90,365 day workout plans based on your goals
- Connect your own music app and soundtrack of choice
- Available for iOS and Android
- As big or as small as your device (Phone, Tablet, TV)
- 7-day free trial
- One of the few apps to include personalized meal plans
- Includes access to Jillian`s full DVD library
- Provide your own equipment
Jillian has proven that her techniques provide results with thousands of testimonials and live TV transformations. We like that The Fitness App provides a wide variety of workouts tailored to each person’s goals and needs. It’s also one of the few apps that focuses on meal planning and healthy eating as a big part of the fitness journey.
To top it off, Jillian is currently offering 25% off the annual membership rate, which has dropped to just $89.99/year for a limited time. We think that’s a great deal for the value that The Fitness App provides.
Home Fitness App #2:
Aaptiv is a little different than most fitness apps. Not content with being just a fitness app, Aaptiv is billed as an audio-based highly personalized fitness experience, set to the music of your choice. There are videos to help you understand how to do the exercises correctly, but after that, you simply listen to the instructors as you work out without having to follow along with screens.
- Answer a set of questions upon registration to tailor the workouts based on your fitness level, preferences, and goals
- Ability to set your own workout schedule and duration
- Available for iOS and Android to take your workouts anywhere
- Over 2500 guided workouts and new ones are being added constantly
- As big or as small as your device (Phone, Tablet, TV)
- Highly personalized
- A support community to answer questions, share progress, and stay motivated
- Team challenges allow you to compete with your friends
- You have to keep track of your own form as the app is audio-based
- If you’re unfamiliar with certain exercises, you may have to pause the workout to watch the instructional videos
- Aaptiv is exercise focused and does not really incorporate nutrition tips
Aaptiv is a hugely popular fitness app due to its highly personalized workout programs. The app comes with a 7-day free trial, so you can decide whether it works for you. Annual membership is billed at $99.99 per year. If you find yourself struggling to follow along with fitness videos and prefer to get in the zone without visual distractions, then Aaptiv is a great app to try.
Before we wrap up, here are some frequently asked questions with answers about how to choose a compact home gym.
What is the best type of compact home gym to buy?
It depends on your fitness goals. Are you looking to gain strength, lose fat, lean out, build your cardiovascular abilities, etc.? There’s a compact home gym for every type of goal.
Do not try to limit yourself to a certain style because there are plenty of different options that will suit your requirements. Go through the list above and choose the one that fits your goals and budget.
Can I use a compact home gym for weight training?
Can I use a compact home gym for cardio?
What are the benefits of purchasing a compact home gym?
- You can have the best equipment in your own house. No need to go to a crowded gym, wait for equipment or deal with germs
- Maximize your space – compact home gyms are designed to fit in tight spaces. You can fold away and store many of the ones we recommended above.
- You can do cardio, strength training, balance, or full-body workouts right at home
- Save money – An upfront investment will save you gym membership costs over time (Paybacks range from a few months to a year or two). You’re also right next to your kitchen. No need to buy that avocado toast or smoothie after the workout.
- Save time – quick, targeted workouts in the comfort of your home. No need to commute anywhere
Which one is our favorite?
The Mirror is hands-down our top favorite compact home gym!
We own a pair of the fabulous Bowflex SelectTech Adjustable Dumbbells and simply love them. In 2020, we gifted the Total Gym XLS to my gym-loving brother-in-law who credits it for keeping him sane through the pandemic.
Lately, we have been looking for ways to increase our cardio workouts. Spin classes are fun but super expensive. We are currently saving for the Schwinn IC4 as a goal in our financial plan and hope to get one very soon.
What should I look for when choosing a compact home gym?
- The style of equipment
- Your budget and your goals (e.g., is it for cardio, strength training, or balance work)
- A decent warranty to cover any problems that may arise in the future with parts breaking down over time due to wear and tear
- How much space you have available at home
- What injuries you have or want to prevent (e.g., if you have ankle issues, you may prefer a low impact bike vs. a treadmill)
How do I budget for purchasing a compact home gym?
We know you want to get started with your workouts. Before you spend the cash and end up with buyer’s remorse, set a budget to ensure your purchase does not end up causing you more stress.
To help with budgeting, our advice is to set a goal – in this case, it will be to purchase a compact home gym. Next, include it in your financial plan and actively save for it. Maybe you will have to stop buying a daily cup of coffee or shopping for a little while, but there is no better feeling than attaining and enjoying your financial goals.
How do I get a compact home gym faster?
1. Finance your purchase
To take advantage of this, you will need good credit. Compact home gyms can be expensive. To help pay for your big purchase, most of the companies we suggested offer financing options. It’s the same as financing a car over several months. You can make monthly payments toward your compact home gym. Some companies above even offer 0% interest rates, so financing is a no-brainer.
2. Earn extra money to fund your goal
We hope that this post gives you the information and inspiration to find a compact home gym that suits your needs and budget.
We’ve provided a comparison of the best compact home gyms and their features. We also included the pros and cons for each piece of equipment to help you decide which one is right for your needs. Whether you need something small that can fit behind the couch, or want something more sophisticated, there are plenty of compact home gym options specifically designed to meet any requirement! Remember to stick to your financial and health goals when choosing one.